Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spengler cup 2013

Spengler Cup Spengler cup 2013

ROCHESTER AMERICANS(AMERKS) confirmed their participation in edition 2013. RA are farm team of
    BUFFALO SABRES. It will be their second participation after 1996 when they finished third behind
    Davos and Team Canada.
    They remain the first NA team to ever participate.
    RA belong to Western Conference North Division where they currently are second and sixth in
    Conference.
    Maybe some NA poster can give us some details about this club. History and strength players to
    watch etc...
    There are some infos in SC website in German.(english version did not work for me) Traduction by
    google.

I like that. In this Olympic times it is difficult for SC to get top Euro clubs. We will at last
    see an AHL team against European team. Thanks Pargätzy.

http://theahl.com/rochester-american...er-cup-p183301
    http://www.spenglercup.ch/news/news-tagesgeschehen

Great to see the Amerks return to the Spengler Cup!

In 1996, they finished ahead of Leksand (Swedish Elitserien) and Jokerit (SM-Liiga). They beat Leksand in regulation time, and beat Jokerit in a shootout after being tied through 65 minutes.

They got destroyed by Davos, and lost to Team Canada after blowing a lead (2 goals, I believe).

This year, they are an average, middle of the pack AHL team. It's hard to say how good they will or won't be next season, or which players to watch for, because AHL teams see a lot of roster turnover every off-season.

I can certainly assess the club for you, and their top players, once they finalize their roster for the 2013-2014 season.

The Amerks are not the first ever North American team to participate in the Spengler Cup. They are, however, the first (and, to date, the only) North American professional team to compete in the tournament.

Prior to 1996, a couple of NCAA D.I teams competed (in the early 1980's). In addition, in the late 1980's, a USA Hockey Selects team competed twice. One of the USA selects teams defeated Canada in the finals - 1988 I think it was.

Anyway, the level of play in the AHL is very, very similar to that of NLA, Elitserien, and SM-Liiga, though it tends to be both faster, more physical, and less pass-oriented and less stickhandling-oriented than the European leagues.

NHL teams used to play AHL teams in the preseason regularly from the beginnings of the AHL through the mid-1980's. After that, such meetings became - and remain - rare.

However, three NHL teams played their AHL farm clubs in this year's very shortened NHL preseason.....and the AHL teams won 2 out of the 3. Providence beat Boston 7-5, in Boston, in front of over 18,000 fans. Bridgeport beat the NY Islanders 5-3 on Long Island in a game that I attended. New Jersey beat the Albany Devils 4-1 in Albany.

That's exciting! Now I hope that they will broadcast the Spengler Cup in the USA on some network.

Today Barys Astana announces team will play at Spengler Cup for the first time

Very cool......one of my favorite KHL teams! Love seeing them in this tournament.

Agree adding Astana is ace! I hope Premier Sports here in the UK show the tournament!!
    Dinamo Riga, Eisbären Berlin, Epinal Dauphins

D2 Damned Defiants

According to Le Matin, Genève-Servette HC will be the "fourth" club to take part this season which the paperwork should be finalized by the end of the week. GSHC takes part again, the last time being in 2010 because both HC Fribourg-Gottéron and SC Bern have rejected offers due to a heavy schedule with European Trophy.

As for Barys Astana, no contract is actually signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    According to Le Matin, Genève-Servette HC will be the "fourth" club to take part this season which the paperwork should be finalized by the end of the week. GSHC takes part again, the last time being in 2010 because both HC Fribourg-Gottéron and SC Bern have rejected offers due to a heavy schedule with European Trophy.

As for Barys Astana, no contract is actually signed.
    Yes and according to HOCKEYFAN.CH PARGAETZI would like to bring a Russian top team and they are still negotiating.

http://www.hockeyfans.ch/news/meldung/33602

From hockeyfans, the 5th club will once again be HC Vítkovice Steel from Czech Extraliga for the third year in a row. The last club to join is somebody from the KHL.

CSKA Moscow was invited at Spengler Cup. Some media reported Moscow club wiull replace Barys, others that the two clubs play at Spengler

Well, CSKA would have to replace Barys. You've already got Davos, Canada, Rochester, Vitkovice, & Geneve-Servette.

That's a shame. I love CSKA - classic club - but Barys would have been something new and unique to add to the tournament's legacy of variety.

Is now Official: Barys Astana won´t partecipate in next Spengler Cup as previously reported. Barys press service informs that, due to the Olympic season, the KHL is not able to provide a "window" on the calendar for two clubs, and in the end the choice was made ​​in favor of CSKA Moscow, which submitted firstly the application

SHL and Spengler Cup are working together for a return to Swedish participation, maybe as soon as
    next edition. According to Swiss Hockey news.

But the Swedish Hockey Federation does not want the Spengler Cup to just invite a team, but that the
    teams have to qualify with their performance in the SHL-championship.
    For example the first ranked team of the regular season or the runner-up of the championship",
    Pargätzi says: "I'm confident that already next year a Swedish team will play at the Spengler Cup."

If this is all confirmed, SWEDISH move would be a novelty as up to now the SC has always been an invitational exhibition tournement.

Rumours of DANIEL STEINER,AMBRI, 0.81/game playing with AMERKS.

INTI PESTONI,AMBRI, 0.74/game probalby with GENEVA.

MARKUS NORDLUND,FIN,AMBRI, 0.35/Game in NLA should be added to GENEVA roster too.

Let's take a look at the teams competing this year.

We obviously can't preview Canada until we know their roster, which has not been selected yet.

Host Davos have 16 wins vs. 9 losses and 2 extra time losses and sit in 4th place in the NLA at the moment.

Geneve-Servette currently is in 6th place in the NLA, with 15 wins vs. 10 losses and 3 extra time losses.

As of the end of November, CSKA Moscow was in 3rd place in the KHL's Western Conference, and 5th place overall in the 28 team KHL, with 21 wins vs. 11 losses and 1 extra time loss.

As of the end of November, Vitkovice sat in 8th place in the 14 team Czech Extraliga, with 12 wins vs. 11 losses and 3 extra time losses.

The Rochester Americans are currently in 7th place in the 15th team AHL Western Conference (AHL western teams do not play against eastern teams for several years now; the exception are the two clubs which make the Calder Cup Finals). They have 10 wins vs. 8 losses and 4 extra time losses.

Can we see all the action live on Eurosport 2? Would be nice.
    Nederlandse IJshockey Bond
    www.nijb.nl

Spengler Cup 2013

Who's gonna follow it, who are the favorites ?

As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy to see Genève participating, even if it's in the middle of a bad season and that i'm afraid they will not rest and start 2nd half of season even more tired...

I have no idea how the Americans play, what is their level though...

I see Team Canada winning this year against Moscow, or the other way around...
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 10-12-2013 at 17:43.
    http://www.thepetrochemist.info == Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk english blog. Fun times !

I think Rochester and Vitkovice are the two weakest teams this year. Both are mediocre teams in their respective leagues thus far.

Canada, while unknown at the moment, is always strong, or at the very least decent.

Davos is having a good NLA season and in addition will likely strengthen itself with some borrowed players as usual.

CSKA looks strong in the KHL to date.

Geneve - don't know why you say they are having a bad season. When I last posted in this thread, they were in 6th place in the NLA, and had a winning record.

IHF Member
    Looking forward for this tournament, hope it will be broadcasted again on Eurosport or Eurosport 2.
    Regarding teams very difficult to judge - more or less they all come from the middle table in their current competitions. Anyway it will be very interesting to watch the games.

I'm going to end up paying a 12 month sub to Eurosport just to watch this haha! but I might even cheer for Rochester!

D2 Damned Defiants

Rochester just lost two of its top offensemen due to them being recalled to the NHL by the parent Buffalo Sabres - team captain Matt Ellis, and Kevin Porter. Both have NHL experience, and the Rochester club is weakened as a result of their having been recalled.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Rochester just lost two of its top offensemen due to them being recalled to the NHL by the parent Buffalo Sabres - team captain Matt Ellis, and Kevin Porter. Both have NHL experience, and the Rochester club is weakened as a result of their having been recalled.
    As I understood also three players from Buffalo were sent back to Rochester.

That's true. But the players sent back down to Rochester are not as high quality as Ellis and Porter.

IHF Member
    That's true. But the players sent back down to Rochester are not as high quality as Ellis and Porter.
    (Just sent down from the NHL) Luke Adam is probably Rochesters best player. He was not having a good NHL season bit few are on Buffalo.

IHF Member
    Canada roster: http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/page/show/1051885-canada

I'm not sure why they have 2 guys from AHL teams on here ?

Anybody know any sites that will be streaming the CUP? I don't really want to sub to Eurosport for 12 months for the sake of it :D

D2 Damned Defiants

I would love to know of a live stream that is available to Americans; thank you in advance for any help!

Chuck Wagon -

Canada commonly uses a couple of AHL'ers in this tournament. In the past, they have even used an ECHL goalie or two.

I would love to know of a live stream that is available to Americans; thank you in advance for any help!
    Guys, i don't know if it works outside the country, but the swiss tv offers live and free streaming from every game on its website here : www.rtssport.ch

Give it a try... (good luck with translation hehe.. or let me know if any help needed)
    http://www.thepetrochemist.info == Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk english blog. Fun times !

It doesnt P&H, they geo-block. They have good streams if you know how to get around it but for those who dont, http://onhockey.tv/ will most certainly have them. For whatever reason if they dont, a stream will pop up somewhere, there always have been in the past.

IHF Member
    All games live streaming

English language not guaranteed, but i believe it works also over the ocean..

Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    It doesnt P&H, they geo-block. They have good streams if you know how to get around it but for those who dont, http://onhockey.tv/ will most certainly have them. For whatever reason if they dont, a stream will pop up somewhere, there always have been in the past.
    Yeah I hate the Swiss for geo-blocking everything!! but thanks anyway. I have onhockey and livetv. Just thought there might have been some more "legal" options :D

D2 Damned Defiants

Do agree Swiss TV and SIHF website geoblocks are hatefull. I have to catch up with games when ever I go there. There are ways like STARKOVS hinds.

http://theconversation.com/explainer...blocking-13057

Here is another good link:
    http://www.wiziwig.tv/index.php?part=sports

TEAM CANADA with seven players already in last year champion team.

I don't think SPYLO will play in Davos. He is back injured and scratched vs Ambri for Biel.

Like last year GIAN ANDREA RANDEGGER,KLOTEN FLYERS plays with VITKOVICE STEEL.

RAPPERSWIL lendS NIKLAS DANIELSSON (29), NIKLAS PERSSON (34) and PETER SEJNA (34) to DAVOS,
    Sejna was HCD player from 2010 to 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    Do agree Swiss TV and SIHF website geoblocks are hatefull. I have to catch up with games when ever I go there. There are ways like STARKOVS hinds.

http://theconversation.com/explainer...blocking-13057

Here is another good link:
    http://www.wiziwig.tv/index.php?part=sports
    Thanks. Unblock-us.com looks interesting. I'll try their free trial for the Cup see if it works.

D2 Damned Defiants

Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    Thanks. Unblock-us.com looks interesting. I'll try their free trial for the Cup see if it works.
    I don't know because MCAFEE does not let me enter this site.

Awesome news, Sergei Fyodorov will return to the ice with his CSKA Moscow.

http://www.spenglercup.ch/news/news-...-geht-aufs-eis

Eurosport will show 10 games live. However the final on dec 31 is not shown live. Most games will be on Eurosport. The dec 28 and dec 29 afternoon games are shown on Eurosport 2.
    Nederlandse IJshockey Bond
    www.nijb.nl

Quote Originally Posted by Betterman View Post
    Eurosport will show 10 games live. However the final on dec 31 is not shown live. Most games will be on Eurosport. The dec 28 and dec 29 afternoon games are shown on Eurosport 2.
    But there should be streams for final (TSN for example) :)

I have no idea what they are saying, but here is some very cool vintage footage:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQMVGcUZmGw

Two goals for Rochester vs. Davos in 1996. I have no idea why Rochester wore those awful jerseys. Their regular jerseys are nice and I hope they wear them this time.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lY_Pz4t1_TA

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8FbhOGJIDXY

IHF Member
    Two goals for Rochester vs. Davos in 1996. I have no idea why Rochester wore those awful jerseys. Their regular jerseys are nice and I hope they wear them this time.
    Yeah, you're right about those jerseys...kinda stabs you right in the eyes, don't they?

AMERKS first impression after reaching Davos and some ice practice.

Interviews and full roster: http://amerks.bandits.com/newsX.asp?type=News&aID=910

GARETT STAFFORD,33,D,USA, from FÁRJERSTAD is GENEVA'S new foreigner to end of NLA season, starting in Spengler Cup with the eagles. After failed tranfer of IAN WHITE who signed with TRAKTOR TCHELYABINSK but whose file is blocked at IIFH because he signed with them before so Servette has his rights. STAFFORD sure has not WHITE'S pedigree.I guess MCSORLEY and Geneva fans are really p......

Also ROBERT MAYER,SUI,GK,HAMILTON, lent by MONTREAL will play with GENEVA. What is behind this move beyond SCup? Mayer cannot sign in Switzerland without Biel's approval as he signed last spring with them.

Watching Servette -Amerks, i'm wondering how big of a difference it makes for US players to adapt to bigger ice surface, and somewhat more strict european rules...

They litterally landed the day before playing, it has to affect them somehow...

How relevant would be a win from a european fully prepared team over a tired unadapted US team ?

I would think Rochester is a bit jet lagged and tired.

As for the bigger ice surface, I'm sure it plays some role, especially for the defense and goalies to adapt to different angles and the fact that gaps can't be closed as quickly, but it should not be a gigantic factor, in my opinion.

The Amerks had only a couple of hours to sleep, and then they had a morning practice at the rink, and then they played Geneve-Servette an hour or two after their practice. The jet lag coupled with the lack of sleep, coupled with the opening game right after practice were, in my opinion, probably bigger factors than the big ice.

The schedulers should have taken Rochester's long flight into account, and scheduled them as the second game instead of the first, which would have given them an extra hour or two of sleep.

I didn't get to see the game, but the scoreline would lead me to believe that Rochester was competitive but simply ran out of gas in the third period. The sad part for them is that they don't get any rest before facing CSKA Moscow.

GENEVE-SERVETTE (NLA) 5, ROCHESTER AMERICANS (AHL) 0 (1:0, 1:0, 3:0)

Group Torriani - Match 1

Genève-Servette HC - Rochester Americans 5:0 (1:0, 1:0, 3:0)
    1:0 - 11.41 Kaspars Daugaviņš (Lombardi) SH1
    2:0 - 38.49 Matthew Lombardi (Stafford, Daugaviņš) PP1
    3:0 - 45.11 Matthew Lombardi(2) (Fritsche, Pestoni)
    4:0 - 46.46 Juraj Simek (Bezina)
    5:0 - 56.22 Cody Almond (Picard, Simek)
    PIM: 4x2+1x5x20 - 5x2+2x5x20 SOG: 37-23 Att: 5865
    Genève: Stephan (Mayer) – Vukovič, Bezina, Stafford, Mercier, Nordlund, Antonietti, Marti – Jacquemet, Romy, Hollenstein – Šimek, Picard, Almond – Lombardi, Pestoni, Daugaviņš – Gerber, Fritsche, Rivera, Petrell.
    Rochester: Hackett (Lieuwen ) – Lepkowski, Crawford, Gauthier-Leduc, Bagnall, Mackenzie, Ruhwedel, McNabb – McGuire, Jacobs, Hutchings –Schaller, Gillies, Piuze-Roy – Larsson, Armia, Sundher – Adam, Varone, Catenacci

Hey is that crazy flipping out ROY, PATRICK ROY'S son? Then I can understand his behaviour.

The commentator on Euro sport: Tasmanian Devil leaving the ice....

Quiet a fight during two thirds from AMERKS but then they lost control of their nerves when Geneva was pressing hard, three goals in the third sealed the tough fought game. At the end they came away quiet nicely.
    Lets give the Americans time to adjust to big ice and altitude. This is just first game.

Here is what the Amerks had to say about your questions pre-game, P & H (reprinted here from the Amerks' website for educational and discussion purposes):

Four countries, three flights and two bus rides over a combined total of more than 24 hours of travel, the Rochester Americans have officially arrived in Davos, Switzerland.

Not long after checking into the hotel last night, the Amerks got right to work this morning as 18 players took to the ice at Valliant Arena, home to host club HC Davos and host to the Spengler Cup since the tournament’s inception in 1923, in preparation for tomorrow afternoon’s opening round matchup against Geneve-Servette.

Today’s practice marked the first time Rochester touched the ice since Saturday’s 3-2 overtime loss to the Lake Erie Monsters in its final American Hockey League contest heading into the New Year.

The Amerks were slated to skate at Valliant Arena yesterday afternoon, but unforeseen travel complications put the team behind schedule which made today’s session all the more important heading into opening day of the tournament.

Rochester got first dibs on the freshly made sheet of ice, taking the opportunity to get some of the rust off following its three-day absence from practice while becoming better acclimated to the larger ice surface and much higher altitude.

Despite the lingering effects of jetlag, however, Amerks head coach Chadd Cassidy was overall pleased with today’s effort and commended his team on quickly adapting to the European style of play, which certainly was the focal point he and assistants Chris Taylor and John Wroblewski were emphasizing during drills.

“I thought the guys had good energy,” said Cassidy following today’s skate at Valliant Arena. “We obviously weren’t as sharp as we normally would be. This was more of a skate to get out there and get our legs under us, shoot some pucks around and get a better feel for the rink. It was a good first day.”

The immediate difference the Amerks were faced with was of course the 15-foot increase in the width of the ice, creating a much larger neutral zone than they’re normally accustomed to. The players found themselves having to take additional strides in order to get to their respective positioning, but it’s all part of the adaptation process that Amerks veteran defenseman Drew Bagnall says they’re not overly concerned about.

“I think it’s definitely an adjustment to the bigger ice surface,” said Bagnall. “I think obviously after we traveled the way we did and everything going on, I don’t think we were 100 percent, but that being said, that’s the practice you want to get out of the way. We have a game tomorrow, so we have to learn from it and take what you can. I don’t think guys felt as bad as they thought they were all things considered.”

Additionally, the higher altitude of the rink due to its location within the Alps Mountains is an even bigger adjustment for the players, but again, just another obstacle Cassidy notes the team must overcome as part of the learning process.

“Again, that’s just going to be part of the adjustment coming over here,” said Cassidy. “The bigger ice sheet and higher altitude are certainly going to be big parts of it. Hopefully today’s skate will help us in getting ready for tomorrow’s game, and going forward, hopefully we’ll get better every game.”

Ibizajp - they don't get any time to regroup & rest. And CSKA is a more formidable opponent than Geneve-Servette in my estimation. I think CSKA is going to destroy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    Hey is that crazy flipping out ROY, PATRICK ROY'S son? Then I can understand his behaviour
    Haha yeah, it is.

Here is part of the end of it, kid is an idiot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEJGl...ature=youtu.be

The reaction from Almond was even better, more so when they showed it in slow motion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information